Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Make Your Own Wholemeal Flat Bread !

Why not make your own flat bread !
Healthier and cheaper then buying it from the shop.
I made a batch up yesterday, Kevan & Jack loved them, so I will be making them again. Especially good if you run out of bread and want to save a trip to the shop. You could use white flour, I always use wholemeal flour for all my muffins, cakes, biscuits, & pancakes. Here is the recipe.
250 grams wholemeal plain flour.(Extra for rolling)
1 teaspoon salt.(I use Himalayan salt crystals)
1 tablespoon of oil (I use extra virgin olive oil)
160 mils warm water. If using plain flour you may need a little less)
Mix well together until you have a nice soft workable dough.break in to 8 portions and roll into balls, then on a floured surface spread some flour and using a rolling pin, roll out thin circles or what ever shape you like, mine look very rustic cross between circles & squares. Using a dry fry pan on medium to high heat and cook either side a minute or two until they have little brown specks like in photo. Mine went crispy, great to use like chips for dips, if you want them soft so they can be rolled up with fillings or just like them softer, as you cook them cover with a tea towel . Jack & Kevan had them warm with butter on them.

4 comments:

  1. Oh yum! I must give this a go. Brian has wraps every day for lunch and we go through so many of them. Great to see no fat in them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sherrie, I have been thinking about making these for some time now....Thanks for the inspiration....You know I just love your blog...it's so great and wonderful....keep up the good work my blogging friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to ask, how many of the pictured size did the recipe make?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nellymary...It made 6 large ones, but could have probably rolled the first two thiner,so next time I will try to get 8....

    ReplyDelete