Friday, October 15, 2010

Tin Man ! Made From Recycled Tins !

Tin Man ! Made From Recycled Tins !
Today I sat outside in the sunshine and made my tin man.
Just a fun way of recycling used tins from food we have eaten.I did a post some time back called my latest missions finding ways of using tins and I mentioned making a tin man. As I had to save enough tins for the project,I made him today and it was really enjoyable and fun making him. When Jack gets home from school I will show it to him, he will love it I'm sure and I had a thought. Jack with my help can make one for his gran and his pop for Christmas that they can hang in their garden, I'm sure they will love that ! He is currently hanging in the gazebo out the back , he would be great to hang in the vegetable garden like a scare crow and when there is a little breeze he may make a tingling sound , not sure yet its not windy . So how to make him , Well I used 10 small tuna tins 5 each for each of his legs, 4 each for his arms one for his neck and hat . A large beetroot tin for his body and a coconut cream tin for his head .Firstly I punched a tiny hole in the middle of all the tins then I used fishing line threaded through the holes to hold him together . The body tin I punched a hole on either side for the arms and three on the top, two for the legs. I also used an old ice cream container cut into a circle for the brim of his hat. Then I used my glue glue gun to stick eyes,nose and mouth and ears using long life milk tops and another red cap from some thing and cut it in half to use for the mouth . and two buttons on his body with used little batteries for decoration. I think he looks lovely and almost free to make ! A great activity for the kids to make one each . So start collecting tins and milk tops etc ! We don't eat a lot of tinned food but after whats in the pantry I'm going to try not to purchase any more ! I've been reading a book called  "Slow death  by rubber duck" It's about how the toxic chemistry of everyday life affects our health . It's a real eye opener I  can tell you that ! I may do a blog about it soon ! Very interesting reading. I try to buy mostly fresh produce and when I cannot I try to purchase in glass, that's why I have so many jars in my collection. that's another story. I did an earlier post on uses for glass jars and bottles !

2 comments:

  1. Do you talents have no bounds Sherrie, very impressed and love all your blog, many thanks for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Sherrie I do so enjoy my visits

    ReplyDelete