Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Meals for Four Under $5

A Pasta Dish !Under $5 for 4 people
I used to make this a lot when my elder boys were living at home, its so quick and easy and cheap. I used to mainly use pasta shells and other shapes, it the type a recipe that you can realy use up what ever you have in the fridge or pantry. Here is my basic recipe:
500 grams of pasta.                          .99cents
1 large zucchini diced550 gram)        .50cents
500grams tomatoes roughly diced.    .75cents
2 medium onions (250grams)            .07cents
1 or 2 . 95 gram tins of chili tuna   $1.98
optional handful of black olives finely diced.
Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Boil a pot of water add the pasta, cook until ready, the Barilla pasta I cooked takes 11 minutes to cook. While that is cooking I chop the onion and zucchini and add them to the water two minutes before pasta is ready. Then drain the cooking liquid saving a little liquid to add back to the pasta.Turn off the heat then add chopped tomatoes, olives, tuna and salt to taste and toss well. Optional I add a splash of extra virgin olive oil. Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.and you can serve it with crusty fresh bread and a salad ...But Kev and I enjoyed it just by it self...It tastes great cold the next day for lunch if there is any left over.
Note: I buy the small tins of tuna when they are on special usually for 99cents each.

No comments:

Post a Comment