Friday, August 13, 2010
Glass Jars & Glass Bottles 43 Uses !
I hate throwing any thing glass away they all go in my kitchen cupboard they are so handy for so many things. My mum is the same, I must get it from her.
Here is a list of so many uses for them .
1. I store all my herbs and spices in jars .
2. Bottles make great rolling pins can fill with cold water when working with pastry!
3. When making jams,relish,pickle onions etc.
4. I buy my coconut oil in bulk and store in glass jars. I like using the Dolmio dip jars as you can get it all out easy as they are wider !Great for giving as gifts. I use a permanent black marker to cover the writing on the lid.
5. Glass jars make great vases for flowers and bottles look good with just one flower.
6. You can make snow domes.
7. Use them as memory jars fill with things collected on holidays eg shells,rocks,
8. When I make my lemon cordial I use bottles I have collected ! I give for Christmas gifts.
9. When making mint sauce / chocolate sauce.-
10. They make great tea light holders .
11. Make candles in the jar, cover with lid when not using.
12. They make great gifts filled with lollies brought or homemade.
13. Use for a money jar .
14. Give as gifts filled with cake or biscuit dry mix, plus instructions on how to make.
15. Make lovely herbal vinegars and oils.
16. Make bath salts store in lovely jars . Make nice gifts.
17. Use a bottle for a candle holder.
18. Make gift jars filled with what ever you like. girl ones filled with hair accessories, boy ones little cars/toys.
19. Make a great bug catcher. One for children to observe bugs up close. and one to use to catch bugs/spiders to take them back outside. I don't like killing things.
20. Big jars make great biscuit jars.
21. Use to store all your buttons.
22. Use to store sewing supplies eg sewing pins, safety pins,cotton bobbins.
23. Preserving fruit.
24. I use glasses for smoothies and juices, if you are full put lid on and put in fridge for later. Saves waste and spills and also you can add a little bit of water and shake to get it all out.
25. When making piklets or pancakes I put the left over mixture in jar or wide mouth pasta sauce bottle for using the next day just give it a good shake.
26. Make an ant farm with a large jar and cover with old stocking feed and water them .
27. Make a terrarium with a large jar.
28. Just for fun put a letter in a bottle seal and send it out to sea , put email address or phone number and ask person to contact you to see where it ended up . Could be lots of fun !
29. Store any unused paint in jars that way you can see what colour it is , great for little touch ups.
30. I store my cotton balls in a jar in bathroom cupboard.
31. A tooth brush holder.
32. Use a large jar for sprouting sprouts.
33. Little jars are great for storing stationary supplies eg paper clips,drawing pins,elastic bands.
34. Use a jar to whip up whipping cream, just shake until done. Free exercise or get DP to do it. It really saves mess and washing up just pop lid on and put into fridge until ready to use.
35. This tip is any tin/packet you open and don't use all the contents ,store it in a jar I think glass is more healthy then plastic and saves using plastic wrap because you just pop lid back on and you can always see whats inside.
36.I also use a large jar under the tap of my worm farm to catch all that wonderful fertilizer.
37. I use the tiny bottles for my rose water perfume, just add a spray top.
38. I 've seen people build walls in their house made from recycled wine bottles.
39. Make music, get a row of bottles or jars fill with different amounts of water, take a tiny super ball poke a skewer into it to make the stick to gently hit the bottles. great science experiment for children to do .
40. Make your own lantern fix wire around the top of jar then attach a handle made of wire put a tea light candle inside then you can carry it around like a lantern .Good if power goes out ! Or if you celebrate Halloween they may be great to make.
41. Use a glass jar to listen through walls, put it up to your ear. Another good science experiment for children to do .
42. Use a glass jar to soak your paint brushes in.
43. Clean hair brushes and combs soak them in soapy water in a glass jar.
Well that's forty three fabulous ideas for using glass jars and bottles, please post and share with us any more ideas you have!