Saturday, November 6, 2010

Date & Orange truffles !

Date & Orange Truffles !
This is my healthy raw creation! .
200grams Medjool dates
3/4 cup sunflower seeds
3/4 cup pumpkin seeds (pepita's)
zest of 1 medium orange(very finely)
Raw cocoa powder to roll truffles in. (You only need about a teaspoon full).
Use a food processor or blender to grind up seeds then blend well together with dates and zest then roll into balls about the size of walnuts. This amount made 18 truffles they are healthy, raw and delicious . So when you get a craving for some thing sweet one or two should satisfy that craving. Keep in the fridge !They reminded me of jaffas.
They would be lovely to make for Christmas presents for family and friends, as these days there are so many people who have allergies to wheat,gluten,dairy,soy,sugar, and nuts. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

7 comments:

  1. You can send me some for my Christmas present...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful concoction, especially, as you say, for those with multiple allergies. I am gathering a few recipes for my teen niece with many food limitations and I'm using this (and giving credit).

    These I think could be made with regular dates and without orange zest [for those not of that persuastion ;) ], substituting other flavouring or extract. Regular dates may need a little liquid to process?--I'm not sure if Medjool are moister.
    Other seed or nut butters (eg, tahini) could be substituted for the seeds, too.

    Wonderful invention! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, also, for my niece not eating chocolate, I suggested she try carob or fine coconut. I'm trying to think of other alternate coatings (not sugar) and that's what I've come up with so far.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Natalia...Yes carob is a good idea...Another coating is finely grated nuts ...I've been going to use finely grated maccadamia nuts...I just haven't gotten around to it yet...You could also roll them in sesame seeds...I'm not really a fan of tahini but I use sesame meal in my truffles makes them firmer...I just put seeds in either my blender of coffee/spice grinder...I hope she has fun experimenting...Thanks so much for posting ...Always great to read feed back on every ones ideas and tips and questions ...
    Here's wishing you a Merry Christmas :):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Natalia ...either dates are fine to use I've used both and they blend up really well ...You may like to check out the other chocolate truffle recipe on my blog ... Also in place of orange zest ...you could put lemon zest or cinnamon or vanilla... Its fun experimenting ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Sharrie! This looks (and sounds) so delicious! I'll have to try them!

    ReplyDelete