Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Lemon Cordial !

Lemon Cordial !
My son Jack loves my lemon cordial he is often asking "mum when are you going to make lemon cordial " Well I just made a batch, when I make most recipes I always either double or triple the amount .I figure since I'll be making a mess in the kitchen any way and I only want to clean up once so it saves lots of time in the long run !Thank goodness I only made the one batch I didn't have enough lemons to make more as I just made a batch of ginger beer and used them. I had a slight mishap with my recipe It called for tartaric acid and I thought I've got that, I used cream of tartar thinking it was the same thing then about 30 minutes later I thought that wasn't the right thing to use ! I know it is similar but I don't know what I was thinking well obviously I wasn't thinking was I, brain definitely wasn't switched on .Oh well then I added some citric acid Kev thought it was great he thinks every thing I  make is great, I could feed Kev anything and I mean anything as long as it comes from the pantry or the fridge or garden he is a willing participate to eat any thing I wish every one had a partner like him, He reminds me so much of my grandfather who my dad would always say he would eat sh*t on a stick if it was disguised right ! Well that's my darling Kev ! The cordial tasted just the same as usual so no great harm done !After all that here is the recipe I have been using for nearly 20 years it was passed on from a friend, it was her mothers tried and tested recipe she has since passed on but her recipe lives on .2 lemons 1 &1/2 lbs sugar (I always use raw sugar ) 1/2 oz tartaric acid (I used citric acid) 1pint of boiling water . Pour boiling water over lemon juice and zest of lemons and sugar stir then let stand for 12 hours covered,strain then add tartaric acid or citric acid and strain again leave for 8 hours then bottle ! keep in the fridge and dilute with water or soda water ! You can also add half a teaspoon of epsom salts to get a little extra magnesium in your diet and keep you from ever getting constipated if you like I personally like the taste with the lemon cordial !

No comments:

Post a Comment